Today I'm reminded that I'm valuable cause I can speak in front of a crowd. I've heard there's an incredible fear of public speaking. I wouldn't know. I only get nervous about whether or not my clothes and make-up are conservative in front of an audience to counterbalance my not-so-conservative personality.
I've spent most of my life being told to be quiet or calm down. Well when I go to speaking events for work I don't have to be calm, cool, and collected because that's what puts people to sleeeeeep during a lecture! Next week I lecture in Indy about 'boring' topics like OSHA and Infection Control however I provide, as Disney coined, edu-tainment. I try to incorporate what everyone needs to know from my course and then liven it up with random bits of information. That's what I do. I talk, talk, talk and get paid to do so. I tend to re-energize myself from people's attention. However, I can also be extremely drained by black holes of negativity sucking me into the darkness of their character.
The world may be a stage but most people never get to perform. I do. I love getting up in front of an audience all nervous that my technology won't work and then BAM! it's time to be meeeeee. Lights, Camera, ACTION! I settle into what I was born to do and feel completely loved afterwards. Not everyone gets compliments for talking an hour about rules and regulations---why would anyone want to listen to that?! I should be proud of myself and most of the time I am simply because someone enjoyed their time with me and said so. I'm pretty sure the lectures keep me from the doldrums of winter/spring in Illinois. With speaking endeavors I'm somehow jet-setting to a new state of mind (not just a different state). I LOVE IT.
I'm asked all the time why I'm not teaching. *sigh* I don't have a good answer really. I'd love to be a professor again. Teaching college students brightened my day. Teaching the horse bowl girls brightened my day too (also helped that they won or placed at every level of competition lol). I was apparently 'born to teach' as some say. My mental hard drive gets pretty full and if I don't have a way to back up the information everything starts fragmenting. Defragging my brain would take waaaay more effort than any computer can provide because at this point in life I'm simply learning like a sponge. But I need to wring out my information! I don't have an outlet for sharing---at least not without being completely overbearing. :s
I strongly desire a captive, yet captivated audience...and maybe that's you!
No comments:
Post a Comment