Upon hearing bad news my mind is sent reeling with thoughts of WHY?! and How could I have prevented this?!
Of course I'm only informed AFTER my father's doctor appointment results but luckily BEFORE his surgery consultation as to the contents of the bad news. Somehow I was still given the guilt-trip by my mother for "not being available" or "never around to tell". Well I threw the "BULLFROGSHIT" card on that one. If YOU are the one with news how in the world am I supposed to know?! My life doesn't revolve around asking every effin person in my life "how's your day?" or "Any news?"--that's what facebook helps eliminate for me. And as much as I'd loooovvvve to believe I'm psychic or have ESP...I don't. I'm seriously only 10minutes away, but more importantly I'm only a phone call away. (I'd include "a text message away" but since this was intended to be about my immediate family texting doesn't exist in our communication dynamic.)
I'm generally good with communication unless I don't have an answer to the topic in question. When I hear, "Are you able to completely rearrange your schedule around me and my plans for x day of y month?" then I tend to avoid a direct answer. "No" involves a bigger guilt-trip while giving-in with the confirmed "Yes" typically because "Moowaahahaha you are mine to trap for the 2 days prior and following said date!!!" (yikes) "Does this happen in normal relationships?" I wonder.
Anyway...back to the original fear-induced topic. Now the case of my father's injury could've easily been prevented by a simple phone call asking for help. My dad is not the stereotypical male who won't ask for help. In fact, he has always tried to set a good example for me to ask for help, especially from teachers or professors. However this time he pulled a 'tara' and now is paying dearly. I wish I could say this is a grand gesture of demonstration for his daughter to learn from however I know he was just being me for a change. :S I've always been taught to be independent. If I need help I exhaust ALL OTHER resources before asking another human for help. Shoot just a month ago I moved a 100+ lb wine barrel into the house and down the stairs to its new home in my basement by myself. Of course I had decided to do this after midnight on a weeknight while wearing flipflops just to add to the danger (as if living alone wasn't enough HA!).
It's really frustrating to ask for help. I'd like to point a finger at society where no one is willing to help thy neighbor and everyone has an app. to help with everything else. Oddly enough women are still asked or volunteered to bake or clean as a form of help, and men are asked to help people move furniture and other large-muscle-group activities. Being an only child, I've played both gender-specific roles and I think nothing of helping out since after all there isn't anyone else around to do it. Sooo I'm even more irate that someone gets hurt that I care about simply because no one called me to help. I may not be very willing to ask for help unless I'm completely out of league, but in the end I will give-in and ask. (That's when you know I've lost all hope or faith in myself to get the job done alone). I'd rather help than be helped.
Moral of the Story: I bend over backwards for everyone in my life (to a fault-I know) because I'd rather be involved than be the afterthought.
I hear ya! I think this is just how a lot of families -mine for sure- operate. I have lots of theories on why, but the bottom line is that mine does it too. Either they "forget" to tell me, don't tell me because (insert a guilt trip reason), or they pick and choose who gets what information. "Now, I'm telling you this, but I don't want your sister to know." To me, it's either family news or it's not. Either tell me or don't. But don't hold me accountable if you didn't tell me and don't make a big drama-inducing secret out of things. Ugh. Either way - I hope your dad is well!
ReplyDeleteDropping by to give you a blog award!
ReplyDeleteYou can pick up your Stylish Blog Award here:
http://thewickedstepmomchronicles.blogspot.com/2011/04/my-ps-qs.html