Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Remember that one time we went to that GC concert in Orlando...

I'm reminded of the past because of Good Charlotte releasing a new album today. More specifically I'm reminded of a special time and place when I was living in Orlando for my first internship with Sea World. Upon making new cool friends from all over the country, music became a topic of conversation especially when there was a concert venue called Hard Rock Live at Universal City Walk that had concerts that college kids can afford...ya know like $13 for tickets. It is a bummer when you love an up-and-coming punk band called Good Charlotte and you finally live in a city where they have concerts yet the show is sold out. :(
Well...that concert night was full of life lessons. First, if you want to go to a concert you need tickets...and if it is sold out you need a sign that says, "I need 1 ticket"...more than "1" would be greedy. The declaration that you are missing 1 ticket to make your party complete seems to evoke an emotional response from those viewing the 8.5" x 11" piece of paper with scribbled writing that emphasizes how poor you are but you LOVE this band. Another lesson learned is that someone may find you so amusing that they give you a ticket for FREE! Then all you have to do is find 1 more ticket for your friend. Success was sweet for Ashley and I being bold girls back then.
Lesson #3, do not wear anything that comes off easily. This includes: hats, flipflops, purses, or a tube top. Again, lesson was learned during the opening act of The Ataris. Also, the Red Trucker Hat Guy will forever get credit for saving my life in the concert crowd. The fourth lesson is that when people push forward in a crowd the energy has to go somewhere and it bounces back when it hits the stage wall....which creates a tidal wave of bodies falling backwards. Thanks again to the Red Trucker Hat Guy for pulling me out of the pile of bodies. Ashley's "Never let go!" said in her Titanic voice will forever be etched in my brain as her long arms fished me out of another pile of people.
Lesson #5 would be that people body surfing are supported by the TALLEST members of the crowd so when their bodies hit a low spot (aka short person) this has a tumbling and flailing effect for the surfer. Short people get hit by the shoes...or at punk concerts, boots... to head. It is amazing how far your body can duck down when hit with a boot square on the head. The ringing in your head at the end of the night is from the blow to the head plus the music.
I will never forget Susan...a seemingly quiet and reserved intern who was a hardcore pop punk fan...shouting "I'm going back in!" as she whipped her head around toward the moshing crowd. All you could see was her straight dark brown hair flying as she disappeared. We embraced our inner punk side and rocked out with Good Charlotte and their pre-goth-phase-look of red streaks in punk haircuts and hats.
You would of thought it was a New Found Glory concert instead of GC as we all came out bruised and broken by the end of the night. We left our young and hopeless sides behind and embraced the lifestyles of the rich and famous at Hard Rock Live...after all, we were at a concert that aired on MTV.

 Oh 2003, how I miss thee... Life was less complicated then...but today I'm right where I belong. And I promise to remember the lessons from that unbelievable night for another 7 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment